Welcome to another edition of New Teacher Blog Tuesday!
Today I'd like to introduce you to Heather from
1. Name of blog and link:
Kickin’ It In Kinder http://kickinitinkinder.blogspot.com
2. Why did you start blogging? I am in love with the blogging world! I have been
stalking reading teacher blogs for about a year now and it has truly changed my teaching. I love to talk and share my ideas so I thought I would give it a shot. So far it has been a lot of fun but there is SO much to learn! I am one of those people that wants to know everything right now. So it is killing me to not know how to do certain stuff!
3. Are you a Times New Roman or DJ Inkers kind of girl and why?
DJ Inkers… who wants boring old fonts when there are so many pretty ones to choose from?
4. Tell us a little about your teaching background. I went to college at the University of Cincinnati and worked as an ESL teacher in Ohio right after I graduated. However, me and the hubs (also a teacher) couldn’t find full time jobs and we had an invitation to go visit a cousin in Texas… so we went! We interviewed and went back to Ohio to wait, wait, and wait.
After a million, some phone calls, we were hired in the school district that we really wanted!! I taught second grade for one year and then moved into third grade ELA. After 4 years of that, I moved into third grade math and science. Since I have taught third grade for the last 7 years, I was ready for a change and asked my principal to move me into the open kindergarten spot. I couldn’t believe it when she actually did! She is kind of awesome like that! I am so ready to begin this new adventure!
5. Number of candles that appeared on your last birthday cake? 32 but I turn 33 in August. I seriously feel like I am in still in my young twenties though. It is so weird whenever I get a reality check though, like seeing the lines on my forehead L You know, from that mean teacher face we make…
6. What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done? Packed up and moved away from all my friends and family to move to Texas. I love it here, but I really miss my family and high school/college friends. I grew up getting together with my LARGE extended family for every occasion. It was scary to move so far away.
7. What chore do you absolutely hate doing?
I am so blessed to have a husband that does the bathrooms and most of the laundry (don’t hate me). Personally, I can’t stand dusting. Seriously, the stuff is back before I even finish!
8. What’s your favorite TV show? Friends will forever be my favorite. Currently though. I love House, Criminal Minds, and Vampire Diaries. Yumm-O
9. What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life? I am a musicaholic. I cannot seriously explain how much I love music. It makes me happy, sad, excited, passionate, reflective…. So this question is too hard to answer. I have many songs that I associate with every memory of my life! But for the sake of playing along J I will try to name a few!
Elementary school: every thing from Madonna, to the Beatles (my daddy’s music), to Whitney and of course NKOTB!!!!
High School: Crash (the whole album, um, make that any Dave albums), Come on Ride the Train, Let me Clear my throat, Jewel and Brittany.
College: Anything that could be considered late 90’s rap or pop. Biggie, P. Diddy, DMX, Jay-Z, and of course, Tim McGraw and the Dixie Chicks.
Wedding: What a Wonderful World, and Piano Man (my husbands fraternity brother’s all danced in their boxers to it at the reception….Oh my)
Moving to Texas: Wide Open Spaces
Baby #1 Daughters by John Mayer or All American Girl by Carrie Underwood
Baby #2 Let Them Be Little
I also have to mention I am obsessed with musicals. I could listen to the Les Mis or Wicked soundtrack everyday. I could perform a one women musical for Grease, West Side Story or the Sound of Music. Eclectic much?
10. What was the last book you read?
Clearly I cannot follow directions very well. I can’t name just one of anything! I sort of have a decision making problem! I read the whole 50 Shades series- HOTT and I just finished Divergent/ Insurgent and loved them as much as the Hunger Game series. I am also currently rereading Daily 5 and Math Workstations while eagerly waiting for my copy of In Pictures and Words to arrive.
And now please welcome Leah from
- Name of blog and link: The name of my blog is Learning 4 Keeps. You can find it at learning-4-keeps.blogspot.com.
- Why did you start blogging? I started blogging to connect with other teachers and to create an outlet for me to talk in big girl language! LOL I am a stay at home/homeschool Mom who used to work in the school system, so there are times I miss the “teacher talk.” So I decided to enter the bloggersville and connect with other people who love teaching like I do!
- Tell us a little about your teaching background. I student-taught in first grade and fell in love with it! So after I got my degree in certification, I got a job in first grade and stayed in that level until I decided to work at home with my girls. First grade is an amazing level that allows you to see so much growth over a year’s time. Love it!
- What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life? “We Are the Light of the World” by Kari Jobe would definitely be one. Another would be “Let My LifeSong Sing to You” by Casting Crowns. “I’d Rather Have Jesus” would be an oldie that would make the soundtrack as well. The rest would be Praise and Worship. :)
- What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done? CHILD LABOR!!!! No seriously... Carrying them, delivering them, and raising them are definitely the toughest challenges I have ever faced. But it is also the most rewarding and beautiful!
- What’s your favorite TV show? White Collar! Neil Caffrey (swoon) At a close second is Psych. Oh, how I laugh at Shawn and Gus!
- Are you a Times New Roman or DJ Inkers kind of girl and why? Wow! This is a toughie! I love the DJ Inkers collection because I am a first grade teacher!! I love cutesie, frilly, and girlie! But at the same time, I love organization and neatness. So in that way, I am a Times New Roman girl.
- Number of candles that appeared on your last birthday cake? A big 3-0!
- What was the last book you read? I am a HUGE reader! However, over the last few weeks I haven’t read anything but my Bible and a lot of blogs! The last book I read was about a month ago and it was a Christian fiction novel called The Believer by Ann H. Gabhart.
- What chore do you absolutely hate doing? Cleaning my showers! Ihave asthma and all of the cleaners are so harsh! So I will admit, my showers get cleaned... ummm... not as often as they should be... ;)
I hope you will visit these ladies and come back next week to meet Rie and Layla! If you would like your blog featured, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org