1. Name of blog and link:
2. Why did you start blogging?
During the summer before my senior year of college I discovered the world of teacher blogs. I created my own last year and called it “Adventures of a Future Teacher”. I started following many wonderful blogs and saw how great it was to develop a network of like-minded teachers who shared your same passion and creativity. I decided that once I got my first teaching job that I would create a new blog since I would no longer be a “future” teacher. During the past year I also had a well-established non-teaching blog called “Everyday AEM” where I blogged about my everyday happenings. I blogged about everything from recipes to nail polish to hosting book club discussions. However, I didn’t feel like I could totally relate to my readers and knew something was missing. I wanted to be more in tune with the teacher side of the blog world… and that’s how my new blog was born!
3. Tell us a little about your teaching background.
I graduated this past May from Appalachian State University in the mountains of North Carolina. During my internships I was in Kindergarten and third grade and in second grade for my student teaching. Three weeks after graduating (and my very first interview) I was hired as a second grade teacher! Although I would have been happy to have a classroom of any grade level, being a second grade teacher was my dream. I am very blessed, indeed!
4. What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life?
On My Way – The Rusted Roots (song from Matilda!)
Living Well – George Strait
Fireworks – Katy Perry
Jump In the Line – Harry Belafonte
Harvest Moon – Neil Young
Never Grow Up – Taylor Swift
Wide Open Spaces – Dixie Chicks
5. What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done?
The hardest thing I have ever had to do in my short 22 years was deal with my parents’ divorce (as a senior in college).
6. What’s your favorite TV show?
Well, I will be honest. I actually do not watch much TV (like at all). I would much rather read a book or do something on the computer. If I had to pick something though, I would say that I enjoy watching House Hunters the most.. (even though I recently read online that it’s basically all a big set up rather than real buyers looking for real houses)
7. Are you a Times New Roman or DJ Inkers kind of girl and why?
Majority of the time I am a DJ Inkers kind of girl, but sometimes I enjoy the simplicity of TNR. It really all depends on the situation and the purpose.
8. Number of candles that appeared on your last birthday cake?
9. What was the last book you read?
I just finished reading The End of Molasses Classes by Ron Clark.
10. What chore do you absolutely hate doing?
I absolutely do not like folding laundry. I try to avoid it at all costs and would rather hand-wash (we don’t have a dishwasher in our apartment) the dishes twenty times over before I would choose to do a few loads of laundry!
Feature Teacher: Sabra
1. Name of blog and link: Teaching with a Touch of Twang www.teachingwithatouchoftwang.blogspot.com
2. Why did you start blogging? I wanted to put out there all my teaching life lessons. After my first year I had many “DO NOTS” and some good ideas/experiences that I thought would have been really helpful to other teachers. That was my original reason. Now, only two months in, I do it for the friendships and ideas that we share.
3. Tell us a little about your teaching background. I graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2008 with my Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education K-6. I was a Reading Assistant my first year. I taught small groups for K-4 and it was an invaluable experience! The next two years I taught 5th grade (at two different schools) and this coming year I am teaching 5th again and at the same school. It’s very exciting to get to stay at the same school and the same grade!
4. What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life?
“You Make Me Smile” by Uncle Kracker – this song always reminds me of my fiancé. “I Love Rock and Roll” by Joan Jett – first song I ever learned to sing (4 years old)
“Jeremiah was a Bullfrog” – one of my favorite songs from my family’s summer camp growing up
Any Flogging Molly song – it has become a tradition that my fiancé and I go to their concert for my birthday for the past few years. Now I feel like it wouldn’t be a birthday without them somehow!
Theme song from Back to the Future – favorite movie!
5. What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done? One of my roommate’s (and best friend) boyfriend asked me told hold her engagement ring in my closet for about two weeks before he proposed. All the while my roommate keeps trying to guess what he got her for her birthday and she was so close or right on the money sometimes and I had to lie and tell her no. I wasn’t allowed to tell anyone; even our other roommate and best friend, and it about killed me! Its okay, I got her back the same way when it was my turn to get engaged ;o)
6. What’s your favorite TV show? My all time favorite TV show is I Love Lucy (I’m an old soul, what can I say?) but if I had to pick one form this generation, lol, it would be a tie between Firefly and The Big Bang Theory.
7. Are you a Times New Roman or DJ Inkers kind of girl and why? DJ Inkers! Life is way more fun with different fonts. Spice it up a little! It really seems to get the message across way better than the same old font time and time again.
8. Number of candles that appeared on your last birthday cake? 26, although I don’t really do cake. I’m a pie girl all the way! Mmm pie…
9. What was the last book you read? Just finished Maze Runner and in the process of reading the sequel, The Scorch Trials. Great reads!
10. What chore do you absolutely hate doing? I absolutely hate going to the grocery store. Not quite sure if that’s a chore but I do not enjoy it!
I hope you will visit these new bloggers!