1. Name of blog:
Sliding into First! www.slidinginto1st.blogspot.com
2. Why did you start blogging?
I was sucked into the blogging world in the fall of 2011! It was my 2nd year of teaching and I couldn't believe all of the great ideas that were being shared that I had no idea were even out there! I decided to start my own blog so that I could join in on the idea sharing! It has been such a fun experience.
3. Tell us a little about your teaching background.
I did a full year of student teaching. It was a great program that allowed me to finish my coursework and be in the classroom at the same time! I spent most of the year in a 1st grade classroom but also got 8 weeks of experience in a 5th grade classroom as well. I graduated college in 2009...and finding a job was difficult. I ended up being a parapro in a junior high special education classroom and in November was hired to fill a 5th grade position for someone that was retiring. It was an interesting situation! After finishing the school year, I was hired as a 1st grade teacher in the district where I student taught. I was so excited. I'm still with this district and will be going into my third year of 1st grade in the fall. I love it!
4. What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life?
Don't Stop Believing, Summer Nights, Wouldn't Want it Any Other Way
5. What's the hardest thing you've ever done?
Since I'm only 25, I'm sure I haven't yet encountered the "hardest" thing I ever will. However, I think letting go of my grandpa has been the most difficult so far. He suffered from Alzheimer's Disease. It was so hard to see his memory fade over the years. He eventually had to be put in a nursing home for Alzheimer's patients. Before he died, I only made it to the nursing home once to visit him. It was so hard to see him and know that he had no idea who I was, no idea that he was so important to me, no idea that he was the one that had taught me to tie my shoes...it was a difficult time and I still miss him.
6. What's your favorite TV show?
I have quite a few shows that I never miss an episode of so I'll just name a few: Revenge, Modern Family, Pretty Little Liars, HGTV Design Star, Dance Moms
7. Are you a Times New Roman or DJ Inkers kind of girl and why?
Definitely DJ Inkers. Times New Roman is too boring and I like things to look different, not all the same!
8. Number of candles that appeared on your last birthday cake?
9. What was the last book you read?
Teaching for Deep Comprehension (Dorn & Soffos)
10. What chore do you absolutely hate doing?
I hate vacuuming...and folding laundry. Yuck.
Next up- Stephanie!
1. Name of blog and link: Maestra Bilingüe (maestrabilingue.blogspot.com)
2. Why did you start blogging? Like many fellow teacher bloggers, I started out by stalking blogs based on pins I found on Pinterest. Also, since I have moved to a new city and am starting in a new district, I wanted to have a way to keep in touch with one of my teacher friends (Angi @ First Graders From Outer Space), so we decided to create teacher blogs together in order to do that!
3. Tell us a little about your teaching background. I taught bilingual second grade for two years, and bilingual first grade for one year. My district moved me around to a different school each year, so I never got to really feel settled! This year I’m starting in a completely new district, and I will be teaching bilingual/ESL 4th grade. I’m really excited to move into the upper elementary grades!
4. What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life? I love alt-rock and am a huge 90s music fan! For go-to peppy songs, I would say “Bleed” by Anna Nalick or “Dark Blue” by Jack’s Mannequin. For more pensive songs, “Are We Afraid” by Toad the Wet Sprocket or “Sabra Girl” by Nickel Creek. And basically anything and everything by the Goo Goo Dolls – my all-time favorite band!
5. What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done? Probably persevering to reach the end of this school-year. I had a really tough year, which is one of the factors of why I’m starting in a new district this fall. But I persevered, kept a smile on my face until the end, and I’m on to a much better situation for me now!
6. What’s your favorite TV show? I love watching “Say Yes To The Dress” on TLC! I’m also a big fan of the show “The Amazing Race” – I love it when they visit places where I have also been (I got especially giddy when they were in Buenos Aires!).
7. Are you a Times New Roman or DJ Inkers kind of girl and why? I will say DJ Inkers, because I like using more unique and creative fonts, but I will confess that I had to look up what DJ Inkers was!! I get most of my fonts from free font websites. J
8. Number of candles that appeared on your last birthday cake? 25!
9. What was the last book you read? I’m currently in the middle of reading “The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest” by Stieg Larsson. My reading kind of took a backseat during my packing up and moving to my new apartment, but now that things have settled down I’m back in the thick of it! Reading is one of my absolute favorite activities.
10. What chore do you absolutely hate doing? Cleaning the bathroom!! It always feels like it takes forever to do!
If you'd like to be featured, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great Tuesday!