I am also thankful for TpT's Cyber Monday (and Tuesday) Sale! I am participating, along with MANY other great sellers! Fill up your cart and check out on Monday using the code on the graphic below!
|Graphic created by Surfing to Success|
Our 1st new friend is Karen from An Apple a Day in First Grade
1. Why did you start blogging? I was a blog stalker for the longest time. But after awhile, I found myself wanting to blog too. I was so inspired by other bloggers and I just wanted to be a part of such a great community of educators. I truly feel like I have grown as a teacher this past year since finding the “blog world.”
2. Tell us a little about your teaching background. I have been teaching for 17 years. I have taught Special Ed, Child Development, Kindergarten, and First Grade. Out of all of the different age groups that I have taught though, First Grade is my favorite. It is also the hardest!!! But, the rewards that you receive each and every day watching the connections that first graders make, trump all of the hard stuff!!! Along with teaching first grade right now, I am working on my Master’s degree.
3. What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life? My Girl by The Drifters (I will always be my daddy’s girl!), It’s Your Love by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill (first dance song), Home by Dierks Bentley (My home is my safe haven and where I always want to be.), Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (It reminds me to let loose and have fun with my 2 daughters!), Never Give Up On Me by Josh Bates (It reminds me that there is always someone watching over me who is more powerful and protecting than any other.), Hit the Ground Runnin’ by Keith Urban (That ‘s what I have to do each day when I walk into my classroom!), Courageous by Casting Crowns (I’m learning to have this courage. I’ve been stepping out of my comfort zone more and more these days and sometimes it is frightening for me. Blogging has been one of those steps for me.) God Gave Me You by Blake Shelton (How I feel about my family.) Hilbilly bone by Blake Shelton (Ya’ll, I’m a country girl!) and Rolling in the Deep by Adelle (Because some days are just like that!!!)
4. What’s the hardest thing you've ever done? This is a hard one! From an education stand point, the hardest thing that I ever had to do was change grades after the school year had already started. Several years ago I was geared up to teach Kindergarten and spent the whole summer planning and getting ready. I was even supposed to have a “stacked” class full of students that I had taught the previous year as 4 year olds. But, 3 days into the year, my principal approached me and told me that our numbers were low and I would have to move to first grade! I was devastated! I really loved my class and my room. Anyhow, I moved to first grade where I taught a group of 10 students who scored in the bottom percentile for DIBELS. Not only was I teaching first grade for the first time, I was teaching a group of students who were already behind. I made the most of it that year and I learned so much about teaching from that small group. That move turned out to be the biggest blessing in disguise! I have been teaching first grade since that move and absolutely love it!!!!!!
5. What’s your favorite TV show? NCIS and NCIS Los Angeles
6. Are you a Times New Roman or DJ Inkers kind of girl and why? DJInkers-I’m more into the cutesy fonts versus the traditional. Times New Roman seems so formal and traditional. It doesn't quite fit my style as a first grade teacher!
7. Number of candles that appeared on your last birthday cake? 39! I will celebrate the big 4-0 this summer around the time I finish up grad school! Can you say BIG party?!
8. What was the last book you read? Diary of a Wimpy Kid-Rodrick’s Rules (It was for my adolescent literacy class that I am taking this semester for my Master’s!)
9. What chore do you absolutely hate doing? Cleaning the toilets!
Our next new friend is Pam from Diary of a First Grade Teacher
1. Why did you start blogging?
After a year of following multiple teacher blogs, I decided to try making my own. I was always an avid blogger in middle school and high school so blogging is something I knew. One of my main reasons for blogging is to motivate myself to try to create activities and worksheets to use in my own classroom. I saw all these cool things online and wanted to try making my own too.
2. Tell us a little about your teaching background.
This is my first teaching job. I received my preliminary credential and Masters in Teaching two years ago. I was very fortunate in getting a job teaching first grade last year and am now on my second year. I am also on my second, and last, year of BTSA. This means I will have my credential cleared after this school year is over. Hooray!
3. What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life?
This I Promise You – Nsync & All My Life – KC & JoJo (high school songs), Just the Way You Are – Bruno Mars (song with the bf), and all other songs I hear on the radio?
4. What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done?
Hm. This is a toughie. I suppose finding a balance between work life and personal life? I’m still working on trying to find that balance but am definitely doing a much better job of it this year!
5. What’s your favorite TV show?
Oh man, after my list of tv shows you’ll think I’m a tv junkie! I watch all version of NCIS, CSI, Law and Order. Those are my crime shows. I also watch medical shows, Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, and House before it got cancelled. Recently I have also started watching Revolution, Once Upon a Time, and Grimm.
6. Are you a Times New Roman or DJ Inkers kind of girl and why?
Times New Roman before entering the teaching field. After becoming a teacher, DJ Inkers. I love experimenting with the fonts to make things look much cuter.
7. Number of candles that appeared on your last birthday cake?
I always have to think about this before I answer. Twenty…five?
8. What was the last book you read?
This is kind of sad…The Daily Five. BUT, the last book I read during the summer was The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. I feel like I am very behind in reading books. Haha.
9. What chore do you absolutely hate doing?
Cleaning the bathroom!!!! I especially hate cleaning the shower stall (I don’t have a tub).
If you would like to be featured, it is very easy! Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for stopping by! You're wonderful!