Happy Election Day! Hope you will find the time to vote today!
Feature Teacher: Liz Pledger from The Happy Teacher
1. Name of blog and link: TheHappyTeacher Blog
2. Why did you start blogging?
Over the past few years, I’ve enjoyed reading countless teacher-blogs. I always get so many great ideas, and I love to see the spin teachers put on things! I decided I wanted to start blogging as a way of sharing my ideas, resources, and materials with other teachers out there. It’s also a great way for me to reflect on my teaching and experiences.
3. Tell us a little about your teaching background.
I’ve taught in three different states: Florida, Idaho, and Texas. I’ve taught Kindergarten and 1st grade for five years, and I’ve been an Instructional Specialist for K-2 teachers for one year. I love the primary grades!
4. What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life?
Childhood: “Under the Sea” from the Little Mermaid.
Adolescence: “I Saw the Sign” by Ace of Base
Teenage Years: “U Got It Bad” and everything else from Usher! J
College: “Yeah!” by Usher & Lil Jon (LOL)
Post-college: Any & all country music!
5. What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done? The hardest thing I’ve ever done is TRAIN for a marathon. Actually running the marathon wasn’t as hard as the training I put into it! I ran the Rio de Janeiro marathon in July 2010. A large portion of my training was done in the SUMMER in Texas! HOT!!
6. What’s your favorite TV show? I’ll admit it—The Bachelor/ Bachelorette! It’s definitely a guilty pleasure, but I look forward to it every Monday night. I know it’s not “reality” but it’s quite entertaining! J
7. Are you a Times New Roman or DJ Inkers kind of girl and why? I love all of DJ Inkers’ fonts but my FAVORITE font is “Janda Safe and Sound,” created by Kimberly Geswein!
8. Number of candles that appeared on your last birthday cake? 27. Yay!
9. What was the last book you read? I’m currently reading “Where We Belong” by Emily Giffin. Love all of her books!
10. What chore do you absolutely hate doing? Cleaning up after the kitty! You know what I mean! Ew!
Our next teacher is Rikki from
1. Name of blog and link: The Hive
2. Why did you start blogging? I found What the Teacher Wants when she very first started blogging. In fact she only had about two people on her blog roll. One was Cara Carroll and I fell in LOVE with both of their blogs. I loved all the great teaching ideas and free stuff. I didn’t have a team at the time that collaborated with me at ALL. So I really felt like the blogosphere was where I was collaborating. I’ve found all these AMAZING blogs and now I feel like I need to give back.
3. Tell us a little about your teaching background. I have taught 3rd grade for 1 year. I have taught 2nd grade for 7 years. Currently I am teaching 1st grade. I am also a part-time teacher. I have an amazing partner and she and I work days, instead of half days. I work every Thursday and Friday and every other Wednesday.
4. What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life? I can go the distance by Michael Bolton, Thrive by switch foot, Busy, Busy by Veggie Tales.
5. What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done? I had a baby at 25 weeks. I was 5 ½ months pregnant at the time. It was the SCARIEST thing I have EVER had to go through. I wouldn’t wish it upon my worst enemy. Every day we didn’t know if he would live or die.
6. What’s your favorite TV show? I like Downton Abby, Grey’s Anatomy, Survivor , and Revenge.
7. Are you a Times New Roman or DJ Inkers kind of girl and why? DJ Inkers. I love everything and I mean everything cutesified. I even had my literacy coach tell me you know there are easier ways to make centers and I told her I know but I like things cutesy.
8. Number of candles that appeared on your last birthday cake? 32 (Man I feel OLD).
9. What was the last book you read? Crossed by Aly Condie it’s part of the Matched Series. I can’t wait for the last one to come out in November it’s similar to Hunger Games if you’re a fan of that book. It’s a really good series.
10. What chore do you absolutely hate doing? I hate, hate cleaning the TOILET. I do it but It totally makes me gag the entire time.
If you would like to be featured, please email me at email@example.com